Thursday 31 March 2011

Reviews of the Fibrax Wrexham RC Tour of Cornwall

These are some of the reviews that we received after the Tour of Cornwall this year:



Firstly, I would like to start by saying a massive thank you to the Giles’s - Nick, Malcolm, Alex, Tim and Chloe for all the hard work and effort that they put into the tour.Thanks guys! It was brilliant and a real pleasure to take part!

As a relative new comer to cycling, I didn’t really know what to expect from my first training camp, other than I knew it was going to be tough ... and I was right! By the end of the four days my legs where glad to leave but the rest of me wasn’t! What a fantastic experience! It doesn’t get much better than riding in good company, whilst taking in the amazing views of the Cornish coastline and countryside – it’s easy to forget about the aching legs when the scenery is that good!

The camp ran smoothly from the moment we arrived - even the weather was perfect! It was clear that Nick had invested a lot of time into planning the hotel, itinerary, support vehicle and the cafe stops, which were just about some of the best places to have a rest and grab a quick bite to eat to boost the energy levels in preparation for the afternoon training segments.

The option of two groups of riders (one fast and one slightly slower) worked well because you could pick which group suited your ability and your comfort zone. However, you also had the opportunity to change groups at one of the cafe stops, if you were feeling tired or if you wanted to push yourself that bit further. The training segments were not only a great way of improving technique and fitness but they also brought all the riders, regardless of ability, together and yet still allowed everybody to challenge themselves and their ability. I feel that I have learned a great deal from the camp about myself and my ability which can only help to develop my riding. I have also picked up some good pointers from the more experienced riders, which I can’t wait to put into practice in the up and coming season.

Finally, I can’t leave without also saying thank you to our guide Tony from Tri Logic. Thanks Tony! I am already looking forward to next year’s tour and if you are reading this and contemplating whether to take part – I would highly recommend that sign up before you miss your opportunity!

Jonny.



Hello, this is John (from tri-logic). I wanted to thank you for organising the training weekend. It has been fantastic really enjoyed the whole weekend. Its just a shame I had to go back to work on Monday (my legs were happy though!).

John Allen



Hi Nick

Thanks to you, all your back up crew for organizing such a great 4 days of cycling. Everything run very smoothly, great hotel, leaving us to concentrate on the cycling, which obviously took a lot of hard work from you.
First time for me on a training camp, signed up for the A group, thinking i wouldn"t have the legs to stay the course, knowing the nature of the terrain. So having come of a first season racing cyclocross, and 4 road rides around Hertfordshire(flat compared to Cornwall), i was a bit apprehensive. It was a tough first day ,but seemed to feel stronger as days went by, totally the opposite of how i thought i would feel, brilliant. Really opened my eyes to what i can do, and itching to try different things this year.
So would like to say thanks again to you, your back up crew, and all the other riders for making it a great training camp.

Regards, Andy Hill.



Hi Nick, thanks so much for the Cornish trip. You pitched everything virtually spot on, the 2 groups idea seemed to work well with people able to change group at the cafes (fantastic cafes). Also the training segments at the end of the rides were very useful. After coming home with sore legs (no surprise after the tough terrain),I have sort of recovered & for the time being it does seem flatter here. I have already reccommended the camp to others & would hope to do it again.
see you at a race Marcus.



hi nick

thought id drop a couple of lines to thank you for weekend it was 1st class excellent training excellent routes and a great bunch of people,really tired today cant wait for the season to start im sure after 4 days of training like that we ,ll have a great start to the season once again many thanks to you and everyone who helped with the camp it was faultless

Kind regards

Andy Parr




From Susan Seller

If I was a woman of few words, as I am when cycling, I would only need to say "excellent"

To expand:

Great pre-camp communication and itinerary/maps.
Good hotel.
Knowledgeable and experienced group leaders.
Brilliant support car and crew.

Personally as the least powerful rider I never felt pressurised, was always kept informed of where the rest of the team were regrouping, reassured when necessary, made sure I was fine and listened to.

My only criticism is why on earth did you decide to tuck Cornwall all the way down there!!!

Definitely want to be involved in any training camps in the future.



Nick,

That was a top training camp. From the location, accommodation, your guided routes courtesy of Tony & his Tri-Logic team mates, to the cafe stops & great interval sessions. The following car driven by Alex & his helpers Tim & Chloe were a great help filling bottles, constantly checking if everyone was ok & always greeted with a smile. The terrain was certainly very difficult but yourself & Tony in the 'B' group helped to control the speed to a level that suited everyone. You obviously put a lot of time & effort into the organisation as the outcome was a training camp that suited all riders who i'm sure will benefit from for the up & coming season.

I'll deffo be back next year & hopefully see the same faces.

Fantastic job done by all the Giles's. Well done.

Wazza.



Nick,

I'd like to thank you (and the team Malcolm, Alex, Tim and Chloe and Tony) for taking the time and effort in organising the TOC training camp. You should be really chuffed that it was such a great success.

My review:-

The whole experience totally exceeded my expectations. I had signed up fully aware that I would be one of the weakest (& female) riders but I am always up for a challenge. However once the ride itinerary was issued it seemed so beyond my limitations that I fully expected not to complete day one let alone 3 days. How wrong I was. The support and organisation was superb. Not only was the support car always there as a back up (and "comfort blanket" with friendly smiling faces!), the support and encouragement from the better riders for me personally was brilliant. I picked up so many tips that the whole experience not only improved my cycling fitness but also my confidence. It was great to ride with such a great bunch of people and really good that the locals joined us too.

The routes were great and I am glad that there was always a "B" option. I have never seen or cycled up so many hills in such a short period of time. It got to the point on the descents when I knew what was obviously coming up next that I was actually thinking "Why don't they just build a bridge here?". The coffee stops were always perfectly timed and perfectly positioned for the view - a lot of thought had obviously gone into that. The coastal scenery was stunning.

The hotel was perfect for a big group like ours - rooms really comfortable, well-furnished, clean and warm; great shower; free wifi; great breakfasts; handy for the local shops and restaurants and great to be able to bring take-outs back to. Great to have a garage to leave the bikes in each night.

The food parcels you provided each day were brilliant ..... and didn't last long.

It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought, energy and planning to make the training camp the success it was. This is probably the hardest thing I have ever done and I am buzzing that I have achieved far more than I ever imagined I would and I could. Thank you very much for your help, patience, and flexibility...and for pushing me up those hills with the A group!!!!

Suzanne



Hi Nick,

Rob McDonald commented on your status.

Rob wrote "Nice one, Nick - looking back you must feel really satisfied that everything went so well. I know stuff like this doesn't happen by accident so cheers for all the effort you and the whole team put in to making this a success. Not sure if I am missing the sea air but cough/cold back with a vengeance!! :-("



Nick

Just a brief note to say thankyou for organising the training camp.

I was telling a cycling friend all about it today. What we did,where we went ,how far,how much climbing the exercises and how very very tuff it was. When he chimed in with did I enjoy it, I replied that I absolutely loved it.,it was great.

Exactly what I needed.hard exercise that took me out of my comfort Zone that gave me the confidence to do more. I feel set up for anything the season can throw at me.

All of this plus fantastic scenery,terrific weather, good company and a great Hotel

I would certainly be up for more of the same. Once again thanks for organising it and us and I hope you feel satisfied on a Job well done, you should be.

best regards

Philip Cooper




No comments:

Post a Comment